Staying healthy and fit is the new trend these days! To be fit and healthy you need to be physically active. Regular physical activity can help protect you from serious diseases such as obesity, heart disease, cancer, mental illness, diabetes and arthritis. Cycling regularly is one of the best ways to reduce your risk of health problems associated with a sedentary lifestyle.
Here are a few tips on cycling that if you follow can make you healthy in no time.
Facts about cycling
- Low impact – it causes less strain and injuries than most other forms of exercise. As it requires leg movement mainly and causes the joints to move according your comfort level.
- A good muscle workout– cycling uses all of the major muscle groups as you pedal, and helps toning them.
- Easy – unlike some other sports, cycling does not require high levels of physical skill. Most people know how to ride a bike and, once you learn, you don’t forget.
- Good for strength and stamina– cycling increases stamina, strength and aerobic fitness. Thus, you can go on cycling as long and as much as you want to.
- As intense as you want– cycling can be at low intensity to begin with. If recovering from injury or illness, but can be up to a demanding physical workout.
- A fun way to get fit– the adventure and buzz you get from coasting down hills. And being outdoors means you are more likely to continue to cycle regularly. Compared to other physical activities that keep you indoors or require special times or places.
- Time-efficient – as a mode of transport, cycling replaces sedentary (sitting) time spent driving motor vehicles or using trams, trains or buses with healthy exercise.
Cycling and specific health issues
Obesity and weight control
Cycling is a good way to control or reduce weight. As it raises your metabolic rate, builds muscle and burns body fat. If you’re trying to lose weight, cycling must be combined with a healthy eating plan.
Cycling is a comfortable form of exercise and you can change the time and intensity. It can be built up slowly and varied to suit you.
If you cycle twice a day, the kilo-joule of energy burnt soon add up. British research shows that a half-hour bike rides every day will burn nearly five kilograms of fat over a year.
Cardiovascular diseases include stroke, high blood pressure and heart attack. Regular cycling stimulates and improves your heart, lungs and circulation, reducing your risk of cardiovascular diseases.
Cycling strengthens your heart muscles, lowers resting pulse and reduces blood fat levels. Researches have shown that people who cycle to work have two to three times less exposure to pollution than car commuters, so their lung function is improved. And are less prone towards cardiovascular diseases.
Many researchers have studied the relationship between exercise and cancer, especially colon and breast cancer. Research has shown that if you cycle, the chance of bowel cancer gets reduced. Some evidence suggests that regular cycling reduces the risk of breast cancer as well.
The rate of type 2 diabetes is increasing and is a serious public health concern. Lack of physical activity is a major reason why people develop this condition. Large-scale research helped to develop this conclusion. That people who cycled for more than 30 minutes per day had a 40 per cent lower risk of developing diabetes.
Cycling improves strength, balance and coordination. It may also help to prevent falls and fractures. Riding a bike is an ideal form of exercise if you have osteoarthritis, because it is a low-impact exercise that places little stress on joints.
This physical pursuit does not specifically help osteoporosis (bone-thinning disease) because it is not a weight-bearing exercise.
Mental health conditions such as depression, stress and anxiety can be reduced by regular bike riding. This is due to the effects of the exercise itself and because of the enjoyment that riding a bike can bring.
It gives one immense pleasure and joy that all sadness, gloomy feeling goes away.
Riding a bicycle gives you a chance to go out and explore your surroundings. It will give you a chance to mingle with other people in the society. And thus, make you stay healthy and fit in every way possible.
Find your cycling partner at Friend Colony, and go riding all way long!